Tax Lawyer Blog

A Blog written by the Tax Attorneys for Individuals and Businesses

Personal identification information of hospital patients and teenagers used to file fraudulent tax returns

The IRS’s Top Ten Identity Theft Prosecutions of 2015


Patrice Taylor, Antonio Taylor, Jarrett Jones, and Victoria Davis



What they did

Tax fraud conspiracy using the identities of hospital patients and minors

How they did it

Between January 2011 and February 2013, husband and wife Antonio and Patrice Taylor spent their time together filing 1,100 fraudulent tax returns. They were joined by friends Jarrett Jones and Victoria Davis. Nearly all of the returns were filed from two IP addresses located in the Taylor home. A total of 114 IRS electronic filing PIN requests were made from a cell phone registered to Patrice. To file the false returns, the Taylors, Jarrett, and Victoria used the personal identification information of 531 teenagers and of five patients at a hospital in which Patrice worked. Patrice also claimed a non-existent dependent on her personal tax return and claimed a $6,776 tax refund.

The charges

The foursome were charged with:

The sentences

The conspirators were sentenced on July 27 and 28, 2015:

  • Patrice Taylor was sentenced to 84 months in jail and her husband Antonio was sentenced to 147 months in the Bureau of Prisons. They were both ordered to pay restitution in the amount of $1,107,802 to the IRS.
  • Jones was sentenced to 20 months in prison and ordered to pay $94,959 in restitution.
  • Davis was sentenced to 12 months in the Bureau of Prisons and ordered to pay $6,256 in restitution.

Experienced Criminal Tax Attorneys

The IRS Criminal Investigation Division actively and aggressively pursues identity theft cases. If you have been charged with identity theft and/or tax fraud, contact an experienced criminal tax attorney at the California tax firm of Moskowitz, LLP without delay.

56-member crime ring apprehended by multiple agencies in Georgia

The IRS’s Top Ten Identity Theft Prosecutions of 2015


Stacy Williams, age 42


Statesboro, Georgia

What he did

Participated in a large-scale identity theft and tax fraud scheme.

How he did it

Stacy Williams was a participant in a 56-member crime ring. Like all other identity theft-tax fraud operations, theirs involved obtaining personal identifying information (names, social security numbers and dates of birth) and then preparing and filing false tax returns in order to collect tax refunds for their personal use. What was unique about this case was the sheer magnitude of the operation and the government’s efforts to apprehend all of those involved. The 15 members of the Claxton branch of the tax fraud ring alone were apprehended by the IRS Criminal Investigations Division, Statesboro Police Department, Claxton Police Department, Swainsboro Police Department, Bulloch County Sheriff’s Office, Evans County Sheriff’s Office, United States Marshals Service, Georgia State Patrol and Georgia State Probation Office.

The charges

Williams was charged in April of 2014 and convicted on September 30, 2014 of the following:

The sentence

Williams was sentenced on June 23, 2015 to 94 months in prison and three years of supervised release. He was also ordered to pay restitution in the amount of $84,940. William’s co-conspirators were all sentenced to between 5 months’ probation and 126 months in prison.

Identity Theft Defense Attorneys in San Francisco

The tax attorneys at Moskowitz, LLP have extensive experience defending individuals charged with identity theft and related monetary crimes. If you are in trouble with the law, contact our office for a consultation.